Dr. Nikolaus Pitkowitz is Founding Partner and Head of the Dispute Resolution team at Pitkowitz & Partners. He holds law degrees from University of Vienna (JD and PhD) and University of Sankt Gallen, Switzerland (MBL) and is also qualified and certified as a Mediator.
His practice of over 30 years as attorney has always been predominantly international. While he started his career with transactional and real estate work in Austria and the CEE region, he now holds a particular focus on litigation, arbitration and mediation. Dr. Nikolaus Pitkowitz acted as counsel in many complex and high-profile litigations in front of Austrian Courts and the European Court of Justice, among others in the two largest ever pending class actions in Austria. He has an impressive record of successes achieved in front of the Austrian Supreme Court.
Dr. Nikolaus Pitkowitz acted as arbitrator and party counsel in over 130 international disputes, in a range from smaller to multibillion cases. Particularly noteworthy is his role as party counsel in the largest arbitration ever pending in Austria, with a dispute value of several billion euros.
Dr. Nikolaus Pitkowitz is President of the Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC), arbitrator and panel member of all leading arbitration institutions, and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb). He also acts as Vice-chair of the International Arbitration Committee of the Section of International Law of the American Bar Association (ABA) and as Court Member of the Casablanca International Mediation and Arbitration Centre (CIMAC).
Dr. Nikolaus Pitkowitz speaks frequently at seminars and is author of over 50 publications. He is co-editor of the Austrian Yearbook on International Arbitration and co-organizer of the Vienna Arbitration Days.
Prior to the formation of Pitkowitz & Partners in 2021, Dr. Nikolaus Pitkowitz was founding partner at Graf & Pitkowitz for over 25 years.
- 2021: Founding Partner with Pitkowitz & Partners
- 1995 – 2021: Founding Partner with Graf & Pitkowitz Rechtsanwälte GmbH
- 2004: Admission as Certified Mediator
- 1999: University St.Gallen, M.B.L.- (Master of European Business Law)
- 1990 - 1994: Partner with Preslmayr & Partner, Vienna
- 1991: Georgetown University, School of Law (Orientation in the US Legal System)
- 1986 & 1991: Working experience with law firms in New York
- 1985 - 1989: Associate with Preslmayr & Partner, Vienna
- 1979 - 1985: Employed with international trading firm in Vienna, London and New York
- 1984: University of Vienna, legal faculty, Mag.iur (Master) and Dr. iur. (Ph.D))
Selection of publications:
- Handbuch Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit und ADR
- The Legal Nature of Third-Party Funding Agreements
- The Vienna Propositions for Safeguarding Public Interest, Public Policy, Competition and Insolvency in International Arbitration
- Confidentiality and Protection of Confidentiality in Arbitration
- The Arbitrator’s Duty to Challenge Corruption
- The Belt and Road Initiative – Legal Risks and Opportunities Facing Chinese Engineering Contractors Operating Overseas
- Vertraulichkeit und Schutz der Vertraulichkeit im Schiedsverfahren
- The Vienna Innovation Propositions, Venturing into New Fields and New Ways of Arbitration – Revisiting Traditional Ways of Arbitration
- Kommentar der Artikel 8 und Artikel 9 Wiener Regeln
- Handbook on Third-Party Funding in International Arbitration
- Verbrauchergerichtsstand 2.0
- International Law Institute (ILA), Secretary of Austrian Branch and member of the International Arbitration Committee
- International Bar Association (IBA), head of the Advisory Board of the Real Estate Section
- American Bar Association (ABA), Vice Chair of the Arbitration Committee of the International Law Section
- AmChamAustria – American Chamber of Commerce in Austria
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAut)
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Austrian Council of Shopping Places (ACSP)
- CDRC Vienna – the IBA and VIAC consensual dispute resolution competition, Director
- European Chinese Arbitrators Association (ECCA)
- Austrian Chinese Business Association (ACBA)
- Permanent Forum of China Construction Law (PFCCL)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), Panel of Arbitrators
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Panel of Arbitrators
- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB), Panel of Arbitrators
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Panel of Arbitrators